This web site use private and third party cookies to optimize your navigation, suit your preferences and perform analytical tasks. By continuing browsing accept our Cookies Policy.


Accommodation and orientation

Types of visa

If you are non EU citizen and you do not hold a valid UE residence permit, valid for your entire stay in Spain, please take into account that to study in Spain for more than 3 months, you need a Student Visa. Depending on the length of your stay, there are two types of Student Visas:

  • For 6 months/180 days, for stays no longer than 6 months. Students will not be entitled to obtain a foreign ID card in Spain, and this type of Visa cannot ve extended in Spain.
  • For 90 days, for stays longer than 6 months. Students must apply for their foreign ID card upon arrival at Deusto.

Please note: Once you arrive in Spain, it is not possible to change a 180-day student visa for a multiple entry visa or longer in Spain.
You can only apply for a visa at your country of origin, or in the country of which you are a legal resident.

Please note that you will need your passport to be stamped upon arrival at the Spanish airport. Alternatively, you can make an Entry Declaration in the National Police Station within the first working 3 days.

Contact person at the Bilbao Campus:
Contact person at the San Sebastian Campus:

Visa application

Once you have been admitted to the chosen programme, you must immediately contact the Spanish consulate in your country of origin, where you can obtain further information about the requirements and supporting documents needed to obtain you Student Visa.

You can find further information about the nearest Spanish consulate on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation website.

Obtaining a student visa may take several weeks or even months. Therefore, we advise you to contact the consulate as soon as possible. You should bear in mind that visa processing may take longer in July and August than in other periods of the year.

Documents required to obtain a visa:

  • A valid passport for the whole length of your stay in Spain, more than 6 months at least.
  • The letter of admission for the programme of study at the host university, including the course name and the dates.
  • Accommodation confirmation letter.
  • A copy of the private insurance policy.
  • A document certifying that the student has enough financial support for his/her stay in Spain during the length of his/her studies (documents of grant(s) awarded, for example)
  • Criminal record certificate from the countries where the student has resided during the last 5 years. (Only for stays longer than 6 months).
  • Health certificate. (Only for stays longer than 6 months).
  • Passport-size photographs
  • Proof of payment of tuition fees
  • Information about the programme of study
  • Plane ticket reservation.